Saturday, September 22, 2012

The first 3 days

I am back! And a lot has changed since my last post....
Joe has returned from Afghanistan, I moved to Tennessee to be with him, we then PCS'd to Savannah, GA where we have been since August 2011. It is alot different living together than being long distance! Needless to say...................
..............It's that time again..... Deployment. Luckily this one is only 9 months unlike the year long deployment we experienced last time. However this deployment will be very different, for both of us. For one, I am without close family and close friends, because they are all in Alabama. Second, we are now living together so it is very lonely without him here. (at least I have my furbabies to keep me company and to entertain me) So how is it going so far....?

Well on day one I outright refused to take off his "I served in Afghanistan" shirt. I also refused to get off the couch for 95% of the day. With that said, I did end up showering and I ate dinner (and by dinner I mean I ordered pizza so I could stay on the couch as much as possible) The day wasnt too bad. Besides he would normally be at work during the day.... the night is where it got me. It got to the "children" as well. They roamed the house crying, looking for daddy, and standing by the door waiting on that tall, handsome guy to come through the door in his uniform.....(and quite frankly so was I).  But the reality soon caught up with me and I just carried on with what I would normally be doing.... (pinterest.. haha) Day one ending with me laying cross ways in bed because I hated rolling over and not being elbowed in the face by him. Sleeping that night sucked....

Day two brought me face to face with something I didnt feel like I was ready to do... go to work. Even though it was only for half of a day.... I hated that I had to be there. Luckily it was just the distraction I needed. I also got to talk to Joe (AIM) and this always eases my anxiety of deployment. Day two definitely went a lot better than the day before. I only cried twice (Score!) It was a Friday so while everyone was preparing for date nights, girls nights, or family nights, I was in my PJ's by 3:30 and on my couch until I went to bed, where I continued to distract myself from reality.

Day three brought about so much progress. The shock is finally subsiding, and I am now able to check all of those facebook messages of all the wonderful people checking on me, which just one day before left me a soppy crying mess. I was able to get up and clean the entire apartment (and by clean I mean scrub with elbow grease and pull out the Mr Clean Eraser bar) I set myself a schedule of being done cleaning by 11 am and just missed it by 20 minutes. I also went to the store, had lunch in public (no longer a soppy mess :)), and went to a birthday party. Today I feel like I'm closer to being my normal self... but what is normal anyways...?

So last time, the main thing that got me through a year long deployment was my timeline. I made a list of different projects I wanted to accomplish through the year and also each month I had one thing I looked forward too. Once I reached that event I was one month closer to Joe. Since that was so succesful, I am doing this again.

Month 1 will be from now to October 31st

My Projects are:
*Decorate the apartment for fall, not just halloween, but for fall.
*Finish my recipe cards and recipe card box
*Finish my book - Chasing the Night by Iris Johansen.
*Clean out my drawers in the bedside tables and dresser
*Go through my clothes and make a Goodwill pile

My event(s) are:
*The new House of Night book will be out on October 17th
*Vampire Diaries and the remainder of my fall shows will be back on :)

I have a ton of decorating to do and a ton of mini projects to do so I should have plenty to keep myself busy. Again I want to thank all my family, friends, and co workers who have checked in on me, called, left messages, and given me space when i needed it.

In conclusion for my first post of this deployment, here is a list of things I find that helps get me through it...

1- Shower: you have no idea how better you feel after that first shower after he leaves.
2- Take out: trust me when I say cooking will be the last thing you want to do..... take out is a lifesaver.
3- Instant messenger (or any other communication media): your heart leaps and does somersaults when you get your first email, message, or skype message. Its like you are back connected again
4- Extended cable/On Demand/Netflix: you will be a couch potato for 2-5 days. Having that escape is amazing. Especially if it has absolutely nothing to do with a love story, military, or anything that seems sentimental. I chose Teen Mom and NBC comedies.
5- Children/furbabies: of course mine are furbabies, but just having them around will keep your spirits up, and give you a reason to actually get up (clean the litter box, feed them, pick up all the things they have ripped up, pulled out, and tried to play with)

Well that is the deployment so far.... lets see how week one goes and how much I actually accomplish.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment